Tuesday, March 6, 2012
To all my Australia friends
In our sacrament meeting on Sunday we had a visitor get up and bear his testimony. He is from Australia. From the moment he started talking the whole congregation was instantly quiet. Everyone was listening to his accent. I LOVE Australian accents. I could listen to it all day. So I thoroughly enjoyed his testimony. And he clearly has a strong one. It's a great reminder that we belong to a worldwide church, and that everyone in it believes the same things and feels the same way. But while he was talking I couldn't help remember our Australia trip a few years ago. All the cousins were so fun and we really soaked that accent in! I have to laugh every time I remember LeNell trying to copy the Australians when she made a phone call one time. Down there instead of saying 799-2003 (seven nine nine, two zero zero three), they say 7 double-nine, 2 double-zero three. So LeNell was on the phone with an Australian scheduling an appointment or something and she was telling them the phone number trying to use the "double" number idea. She ended up messing the whole thing up - she got too many "doubles" going and even tried to throw a "triple" in there but ended up giggling and saying it the normal way after all. We all cracked up and had a good laugh. We figured out that they say "cah pahk" instead of parking lot, "rubbeesh bean" instead of trash can, and "bah-bie" instead of barbeque. The word "no" is the one we worked on the most. It's pronounced "nah-oo" but it's tricky to get right. "water" is another one - "woo-dah" is more how they say it. Let's all walk around practicing our Australian accents all day today. It was a fun trip and I'm ready to go back! Australian accents are the BEST.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm not an official Australian friend, but I do love me a good Aussie accent. Especially when it's coming out of Hugh Jackman! I want to go deowwn undahh next time!!
Bev,
I forgot all about that story. That was a great reminder of an incredible trip. My internet was down and I have been wondering about your post-finally I got to see it today. So Fun.
Such a funny story. It would be fun to go anyplace with those blonde cousins. They are such a riot. Glad you told us all about LeNell. And I like Hugh Jackman too. But not Wolfman so much.
hahah great memories....I'm down for another trip. I loved having you come along Bev, so so fun. This reminded me when Peter, fresh from Australia said the prayer in our ward and everyone loved his accent, he got so much attention.
Post a Comment