Friday, May 28, 2010

Food on the Brain

Rob and I have really gotten serious about our low-calorie eating. We are determined to get into shape and lose some weight. We have been doing an intense workout every morning at 6 am called "Insanity". Appropriately named. We are insane for doing it, and it has made our muscles feel insane. I thought after teaching an exercise class for the last couple of years that my muscles could handle it, I was insane for thinking so.

So we have been eating 5 small meals/day that include lots of fruits, vegetables, lean protein, low-fat dairy, and whole grains. Thought I'd share some of the things we've been eating:

My favorite salad has been spinach leaves tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then sprinkled with salt and fresh ground pepper, then topped with sliced strawberries, some blueberries, crumbles of goat cheese, and just a few walnuts on top. If you add some sliced chicken breast you have a whole meal.

The other day I invented a recipe. I took a large zucchini and cut it in half length-wise. I then hollowed it out slightly and put the two halves in the microwave for about 5-6 minutes until they were soft. Meanwhile, I took my handy-dandy chopping tool and chopped the zucchini pulp I hollowed out, along with another small zucchini, until it was minced. I continued mincing onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and some cooked chicken. All the pieces were about a quarter to a half inch in diameter. I then sauteed the onion and bell pepper in olive oil until they were almost soft. Then I added the mushrooms and zucchini until they were cooked through, then added the chicken. I also added a splash of worchestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, and some salt and pepper. Then I spooned the mixture into each cooked zucchini half - about 1 1/2 or 2 cups total in each zucchini half. Since this was our meal, and it was mostly vegetables, I made a lot. I sprinkled a little grated cheese on top of each and let it melt just to make it look more appetizing. This was dinner for Rob and me one night and it was quite tasty.

The smoothies ---ohhh the smoothies. They have been tasting so good to me for some reason. (I guess when you're eating less EVERYTHING tastes good.) I bought some chocolate and vanilla protein powder at Costco. When you work out, you should consume a lot of protein. So I've been making smoothies with 1/2 c. fat free milk, 1/2 c. water, 1 1/2 scoops protein powder, a handful of spinach leaves (you can't even taste it), a banana, some frozen strawberries and/or blueberries, and any other fruits that I have at the time. I also have some flax that I will mix in sometimes, just because all the benefits it lists on the container sound important, and I figure it can't hurt.

And of course, eggs. One whole egg and two egg whites in an omelette with mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and artichoke hearts is quite yummy. Or put the eggs on a whole-grain english muffin with canadian bacon and tomato slices. This morning I tried 4 eggs whites - no yolks - scrambled. I had never tried all whites before. It wasn't bad. A thin bagel with Weight Watcher cream cheese and sliced strawberries on top went with it.

It's true that the healthier you eat, the healthier you crave. I hope to crave all these good foods all the time and stop craving chocolate, I don't know how likely that is. We'll see. For now, I'm doing pretty good. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

grandma said...

If you quit craving chocolate let me know. I usually eat what I have to in order to have some chocolate for dessert. Sounds like a good plan. I will try some of the recipes.

Becky said...

Well while you're eating all healthy and everything, I fed my craving of chips and salsa by stopping at a mexican food restaurant and getting some to go. That was my dinner. Washed down with a Jones berry lemonade soda. Followed by some ice cream with peanut butter. Although it tasted yummy, I now have a belly ache. I think vegetables will be on the menu tomorrow. You're leaps and bounds ahead of me!