Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mom Craze

Every now and then I go into a little private crazy rant and then do something drastic. Yesterday was one such occurance. It has been building for months. My dishwasher doesn't work that well. It's only a few years old, and we bought a good one thinking we wouldn't have problems, but no such luck. Half the dishes come out clean half the time. So then we end up reloading and washing again, but meanwhile more dirty dishes pile up. I've had a repairman out, we've called the company (of course the warranty is expired), and have tried everyone's tips I can find. Often I end up washing several dishes by hand. Anyway, yesterday the dishwasher was full of half clean dishes, the sink was FULL of dirty dishes, and the counters were covered in their usual 500 cups. Everyone in my family must get 56 drinks a day and use a new cup each time, thereby littering my counters and whole house with cups that never quite make their way to the sink, let alone the afore-mentioned evil dishwasher. Mind you, my children do have chores, and it is someone's chore to do the dishes, but more often than not that person is nowhere to be found at moments like these. Such was the case yesterday. Brady, my current dishes person, has been working an inordinate amount of hours lately, so I never see him. I've almost forgotten what he looks like. So I knew he'd be of no help. I looked around at the cup-infested kitchen and my private craze moment began. I started hating the dishes, my satanic dishwasher, my kitchen in general, and my piggy children. I decided to take action. I began the painstaking process of washing every single dish by hand. I spread towels all over my counters and layed out all my just washed cups, plates, and silverware. It took a long time. Then I proceeded to remove every plate, bowl, cup and silverwarwe from the cupboards and drawers and place them on the counter. Then I made some little labels with everyone's names on them and attached them to the shelves in my now-empty cupboards, giving each person a designated shelf. I then placed one plate, one bowl, one cup, and one each of a knife, fork, and spoon on each person's shelf. I have enough odd, mismatched utensils and dishes that each person's is different from eachother's, just so there's no confusion. I then took every single remaining dish and utensil and put them in garbage bags and hid them away where no one will find them. I was feeling better already. The good part was when the first child came home and opened the cupboard to remove the first of their 56 cups and found the new system. Word spread fast, and soon all the kids were in the kitchen wondering what happened and asking a lot of questions. I simply replied, "Those are now your dishes on your shelf. Whether you wash them or not is up to you." I walked away knowing I had conquered. My mom-craze paid off. At least for now. At this moment my kitchen is sparkling clean. I think there's one mixing spoon in the sink. And I will wash that. Happily.

8 comments:

Becky said...

Hilarious!! I'm surprised you didn't that before now. Kids DO NOT CARE how many dishes they dirty during the day. It's a fact. And you did something about it! I say GOOD FOR YOU!! Brilliant! Bravo!! Genius!!! I've tried to do that once before, I may have to do it again. Keep us posted on how it goes. You're my hero.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!! You are brilliant, it reminds me of when I was staying at your house one summer and we came home from somewhere and your mom had cleaned your room really good, it was perfectly spotless, BUT she said it was then her room cause she had to clean it, you could go in it when you asked her and get your things. I thought it was pretty cool that your mom would clean your room but you were in tears cause you didn't want it to be her room.
I love you Borens, you will find a way, a very creative way to keep a clean, organized house.

Bethany said...

Ha, ha, you go girl--They did that at girls camp with plastic dishes and it worked great. I think it's a super idea. Report back. this is Nelly

Darvil said...

What a cool idea. I like it. Even now with our small household the 1256 empty cups really bothers me for some reason. Something else that is a close 2nd is towels. A new towel used each time they take a shower. Give me a break!!! This results in non stop laundry. They would die if we tried this. One time we did try something similar. We didn't wash any dishes or clear the table thinking the kids would do their jobs. They just move the dirty dishes aside to make room for a clean plate at the table. If all the plates and cups were dirty it was amazing what they found to eat or drink out of.

Shaleice said...

hahahhaa. Bev, Becky, Dad... yep, I remember the "dreaded teenager days" of tossing the dishes in the sink and walking away..I guess I knew they would get cleaned somehow but I didn't really give much thought as to how. I'd like to believe that getting a little older and wiser changes a person's thinking though. Me and Bre actually find ourselves telling Jason and Jared (when he was home), that they need to pick up after themselves, haha. Oh, but dad, I wish you could hear about what Jason is doing at home right now while you and mom are on vacation in Tahiti -- yep, he's cleaning!!! :) awesome huh? You and mom will come back and realize that you haven't lost ALL hope. ;) ...And ya know, now that I'm married, I feel a snippit of "mother" coming out in me every so often as I ever so kindly "threaten" that we might have to label the cups like dad did when we were kids, if it can't be kept under control. hahaha....yep...WHY do I get the feeling you and mom will just sit and laugh one day as I run around reminding my kids about the towels and dishes and belongings strung everywhere? I guess thru your eyes it will be some sort of payback ;)

Shaleice said...

hahahhaa. Bev, Becky, Dad... yep, I remember the "dreaded teenager days" of tossing the dishes in the sink and walking away..I guess I knew they would get cleaned somehow but I didn't really give much thought as to how. I'd like to believe that getting a little older and wiser changes a person's thinking though. Me and Bre actually find ourselves telling Jason and Jared (when he was home), that they need to pick up after themselves, haha. Oh, but dad, I wish you could hear about what Jason is doing at home right now while you and mom are on vacation in Tahiti -- yep, he's cleaning!!! :) awesome huh? You and mom will come back and realize that you haven't lost ALL hope. ;) ...And ya know, now that I'm married, I feel a snippit of "mother" coming out in me every so often as I ever so kindly "threaten" that we might have to label the cups like dad did when we were kids, if it can't be kept under control. hahaha....yep...WHY do I get the feeling you and mom will just sit and laugh one day as I run around reminding my kids about the towels and dishes and belongings strung everywhere? I guess thru your eyes it will be some sort of payback ;

Shaleice said...

hahahhaa. Bev, Becky, Dad... yep, I remember the "dreaded teenager days" of tossing the dishes in the sink and walking away..I guess I knew they would get cleaned somehow but I didn't really give much thought as to how. I'd like to believe that getting a little older and wiser changes a person's thinking though. Me and Bre actually find ourselves telling Jason and Jared (when he was home), that they need to pick up after themselves, haha. Oh, but dad, I wish you could hear about what Jason is doing at home right now while you and mom are on vacation in Tahiti -- yep, he's cleaning!!! :) awesome huh? You and mom will come back and realize that you haven't lost ALL hope. ;) ...And ya know, now that I'm married, I feel a snippit of "mother" coming out in me every so often as I ever so kindly "threaten" that we might have to label the cups like dad did when we were kids, if it can't be kept under control. hahaha....yep...WHY do I get the feeling you and mom will just sit and laugh one day as I run around reminding my kids about the towels and dishes and belongings strung everywhere? I guess thru your eyes it will be some sort of payback ;

Shaleice said...

whoops, I posted the same thing 3 times... well I just wanted to reiterate my point I suppose ;)