Monday, April 16, 2012

PETUNIAS

We brought back a large wooden box from Texas, and I put it on the front porch. I put pumpkins in it in the fall, Christmas items in December, then we filled it with potting soil and I planted some seeds. They did not come up, so I bought some geranium and petunia plants. The geraniums are salmon colored, and some white ones. The petunias are several different shades of lavender. I like the color combination. As I was sitting on the front porch this morning, admiring them, and my roses that are starting to bloom, I began noticing the sweet fragrance of the petunias -- and suddenly I was a 6 or 7 year old girl again, in Eden at my Grandma and Grandpa Hancock's house, looking at and enjoying the scent of petunias. My Grandma had petunias on the south side of her house every year. They were the old-fashioned kind, not as frilly and bright as the ones in the nurseries today, but very fragrant. So now, when I smell petunias, I think of my Grandma. She was a short little lady, with a bent-over back. She always wore an apron, her house was always neat as a pin, even tho the water they used came from a well. No modern conveniences -- a quiet house with no radio, tv, or telephone. There were big salt cedar trees in the front yard -- which Grandma hated and tried to kill with boiling water. When the wind blew, the sound coming from the trees always made me feel sad. The petunias seemed the only bright spot, and to me they were her signiature flower. So what is yours? I love roses, and have for years and years. Let us know which flower you associate yourself with.

ps I was going to put a picture of Grandma on, but picasa just updated and I haven't figured it out yet. sorry

4 comments:

Becky said...

FINALLY SOMEONE POSTED AGAiN!! I wish I could see your flowers but you described them well. It took me awhile to figure out the picasa update. It bothers me that I don't have a favorite flower. I've always wanted to be able to say ------- is my favorite flower, but I just don't have one. I love all flowers. Roses, rinunculas, tulips, daisies, sweet peas...there's just too many to have only one favorite. I want to hear more about Great Grandma Hancock.

Nellie said...

I loved that story of Grandma Hancock. Thanks for sharing. I love peonies. I was introduced to them when I bought a home in Rupert, Idaho that had beautiful red peonies that came up in the spring. I have some here in my yard and they are popping their heads.

Bev said...

Yes it's nice to read about our ancestors. I can't wait to meet them all. I think we will find we will feel like old friends. Keep telling us stories about them! I don't have a favorite either, it seems to be whichever one I am looking at at the time.

Jan said...

I love that story! I love flowers. I haven't thought about what my signature flower is, I do plant petunias every year. My Grandma Lela Iris's are blooming right now.