Thursday, September 10, 2009
Ears and knees are important
Colby burst his ear drum last week. I forgot to mention it to y'all. He was swimming and jumped into the pool, landing sideways with his ear sort of slapping the water as he went in. Apparently it was enough force to pop a hole right in the eardrum. He can't hear out of that ear now, but the doctor says that's normal and as it heals the hearing will come back. It'll take a few weeks or so. Colby's our injury child it seems. He had multiple ear infections when he was little and had ear tubes put in - twice -for that problem. Of course his surgery when he was 3 days old, and now all the knee issues and surgeries. I took him to the knee doctor a few weeks ago to see if he thinks Colby can wrestle this season or not. He wasn't very pleased with where the knee cap is sitting. He pretty much guaranteed us it will dislocate again, and if it becomes too severe, he'll have to go in and cut out a little bone and use screws and whatnot. But after saying all that, he said: "These are some of the best years of his life. If he wants to wrestle, he should wrestle. He can't just sit around hoping nothing happens. He's got bad knees, and he'll have to deal with it, but he shouldn't let it hold him back from what he wants to do." I guess that's some pretty good advice. And since Colby's willing to risk it, it looks like he'll be wrestling. I'll support him, but I won't have any fingernails left after watching his matches, I'm sure. And I'll put the emergency room and the doctor's office on speed dial.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Poor Colby. I feel for him. Bad knees are such a pain. He's brave to want to keep wrestling anyway.
"cut out a little bone and put in screws". It's not all that fun, he may want to find a gentler sport such as chess, or bowling, or even golf. Maybe frisbee golf if he wants to get really crazy! He probably didn't listen to you that much even before the broken ear drum. Teenagers.
Post a Comment