Ok so I know it's my turn to update you on the latest in the Dow World. We had a GREAT trip to Hawaii (maybe some day I'll post pictures - that requires organization). I feel like I've been running non-stop since we got home, though. First just playing catch-up from being gone for 10 days, then with Super Saturday project sign-ups and ordering/purchasing of supplies, which took several days (and late nights when I could concentrate and count). We have several hundred dollars worth of orders - it should be fun. Then this week I have been covering for Rob's receptionist who is on vacation. I'm glad I'm not a working mom - Getting home at 6 to a messy house just to try and fix dinner, help with homework and get everyone to bed in time to wake up at 5:30 and begin again.
But last night we had a little extra excitement thrown into the schedule. At wrestling practice Colby BROKE HIS NOSE! Yes, you read that right, broke his nose. I told you he is our injury child! About a month ago he knocked his front tooth out, too. We were out to dinner. Luckily he had the sense to put it back in place which Rob said was the best thing to do because it seems to have reconnected itself OK.
But anyway, back to the nose. Whenever we have an injury, we always have to go through the same dilemma: Emergency Room or no Emergency Room. Is is necessary? How long will it take? Will they help us or just say go see the doctor tomorrow? Would it be better to just give it time? All these questions we go through. So we called a doctor friend and got his advice, then decided not to go to the ER. I took him today and got an x-ray, then to an Ear, Nose, and Throat dr. He said he definitely broke the bone, not just the cartilidge. He will put him under anethesia next Thursday to put it back in place. With noses, as long as you can breath ok, it's better to let the swelling go down. His nose is bent to one side. I told him it's been profitable for Owen Wilson, maybe he should just leave it.
But anyway, remember the burst eardrum from a few months ago? He looked at that for us and there is still a hole in there. He doesn't recommend leaving it that way since he could never go in deep water and would always be prone to infections when he swims. So he's going to do surgery to repair that! He has to cut behind the ear, then peel the ear forward and go into the ear that way. His ear will be numb for 4 months after that. He said the hole is in a very unusual and tight spot, but that it's not a problem, just a "challenge". He is one of only 2 doctors in the area that will do this type of surgery. What a blessing that we even went to see him instead of the many ENT doctors we could have seen. Our neighbor and former bishop recommended him, so I trust his judgement. His wife Gloria is deaf in one ear and has been seeing this same doctor for a possible treatment for her.
Miranda gave an awesome talk in Stake Conference on Sunday. She was asked to be the Primary child speaker for STAKE CONFERENCE!! I was nervous for her but she did great. She had the audience in the palm of her hand, and has had several compliments.
Other than that, I don't have much to report. The kids have a 4-day weekend from school this weekend so we are going to CA and staying with Rob's sister Amy and going to Sea World and a few things. Should be fun but I'm tired so getting ready to go doesn't sound appealing right now.
So that's the update - long, wasn't it?
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, wow, and holy cow! Colby!! He's so young to have so many things wrong with him already. He will have some stories to tell his kids for sure. And Miranda speaking in Stake Conference! Something I would NEVER want to do. Good for her and way to go! Have fun in CA. Catch up with me when you get back and don't have seven hundred things going on. sheesh!
My goodness, Beverly, what a time you all have been through. I hope Colby does OK and is done with surgeries for awhile, after these. I have been thinking of you doing your receptionist and secretarial duties. I'll bet you are tired.
Bev..YOu are just super Mom and Wife! Sounds like a crazy good life. Glad you had 10 days in Hawaii!
Bev, can't wait to see your Hawaii pictures.......you are a busy, busy Mom. I hope Colby is ok.
Post a Comment