Thursday, May 10, 2012

This week

I was eating a few pumpkin seeds out of a bowl in my kitchen. I had bought them days before and we've all been snacking on them.  I ate 2 or 3 handfuls, then went for a few more when I noticed a slight movement in the bowl.  Upon further examination, sure enough, there it was, a live COCKROACH!  We haven't seen a live cockroach in the house in years, ever since I've been having the house exterminated regularly.  I didn't even think they were out and about yet!  I quickly spit them out, ran the bowl outside and dumped it, then brushed my teeth three times.

I went on the Lettered Cottage blog and clicked on a link she had to a little girl named Lucy's homemade videos.  I smiled and chuckled and watched them all one by one.  If you want a little pick-me-up, go check it out.

I finally did what I've been saying I was going to do for YEARS.  I went through all my recipes and put them into a binder.  I've had recipes for a long time that I've either torn out of magazines, printed off the computer, or been given at Relief Society activities.  I collect recipes, you could say.  It's actually a hobby of mine, reading through recipes.  I do it in doctor's offices, on cooking blogs, you name it.  It's a sickness, really.  I like to eat, therefore I like to cook, therefore I like recipes.  So all of them have been stashed in a drawer.  Then moved to a bigger drawer.  And whenever I wanted to find a specific recipe, the whole drawer came out and the search began.  Well, no more.  They are now organized by category in a very handy binder.  Any recipe I could possibly want could be in my hands in 60 seconds flat.  Shall I make you my friend Nicole's Orange Goop?  Or how about Mom's Christmas Eggnog?  Or maybe the perfect pancake recipe?  I've got it.  Come on over.  Now on to the other drawers, cupboards, and closets that need organizing!

Miranda's team had their first loss Tuesday night.  They were 7-0, but now they've got 7 wins, one loss and one tie.  The crazy thing is that the team they lost to was the very same team they beat 11-1 the week before.  But she's having fun and that's what matters.

Eli is a crack-up to watch at his games.  He loves playing catcher, where he usually plays most of the game.  He's really good at it, but the funny part is that he carries on full-on conversations with the umpires!  He just chats away like they're old buddies.  And when he hits and gets on first base, he starts chatting with the first base coach.  At third base, same thing.  He looks like he's having more fun talking than playing. His team hasn't won too many games, but they're fun to watch.

I tried the idea I heard of putting coconut oil on your hair and letting it set for at least an hour before washing it out.  I did 2 hours with a shower cap on.  I hoped no one would come to the door during that time, and they didn't.  I'm happy to report that it made my hair so much softer and even seems thicker!  I'm going to do it every week or every other week since it's a natural way of replenishing my hair, and it can use all the help it can get - older, dryer, grayer hair is no fun.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Oh for the love of pete say it isn't so! That is my worst nightmare, anything involving a cockroach. That freaks me out that you actually ate two or three HANDFULS!!! It's a wonder you didn't eat the darn thing. That's funny about Eli chatting with the umpires and coaches. I hope he can stay with us again this summer, him & Isabelle need to make another hilarious video. I got a friend request from Miranda the other day, she is growing up!! How long is your hair now? It was pretty long when I saw you last. Must try the coconut oil.

Anonymous said...

Oh Bev, you crack me up. I share the cockroach fear with you, I would freak out too. I'm sure you are a fabulous cook, I know I say being organized is overated but I might have to take back those words, it is nice to have things organized. Sounds like you are having fun. Hey we are headed to Utah in a few weeks to bring Landons car home and will probably come home your way to visit you....are you up for having us a night or two in the middle of June?

grandma said...

I love reading your posts and hearing about what is going on at your house. I know you just love cockroaches and mice ---- don't you? I can just picture you freaking out. Funny post, Eli and all.