I first saw one this kind of bird when 3 of them flew into a window in our room in the back yard. Two were dead instantly, but one was stunned and lifeless. I put him in one of my bird cages, and brought him in the house. After awhile, he revived and was ready to go back outside. That was several years ago, and since then they come back to visit every year. I had no idea what kind they are, but found out they are Hooded Orioles. They migrate from Mexico - where they spend the winter - and after the summer- they go back to Mexico. This year, we have seen a few. They like nectar, but have a hard time drinking out of the hummingbird feeders, since the holes are too small. So, they don't stick around for very long. I wanted to find out what we could do to make them stay and be happier in our yard. I googled for information, and found special feeders are made for them, and these birds also like oranges cut in half that are secured to something---and they love grape jelly. So, we're going to try these things, and maybe they will stick around long enough to even make a nest close by?????? The males are the bright yellow color and the females are paler and not as showy. Go figure.
So-----have you seen them in your yard?
So-----have you seen them in your yard?

4 comments:
I wish I had lovely birds like that in my yard. I see a big ol black hawk that lives around here.
That bird is beautiful, and of course they would love your yard, I would want to hang out there if I were a bird.
I haven't seen that bird in my yard, but would love to. We have quail families that come in and out. Also lots of dove, the males are trying their darndest to catch the females right now. We also have hummingbirds and when I see those I just freeze and watch them. Thank goodness for birds! Hope you get some of those lovely yellow ones to stay.
How nice to have lovely visitors to watch in your lovely back yard. I guess Vegas is too far from Mexico, I don't think we have them here.
Post a Comment