Crazy things people do. I cleaned out my office desk yesterday and had some papers I didn't want to just throw away because of the personal information on them. No shredder. So I brought them home to burn in my woodstove. After the fire had been going awhile, I picked up a bunch of papers(about 1 inch thick) and opened up the woodstove door and threw them in. About half of them immediately slide out and I couldn't close the door. Then they all caught on fire. Smoke was bellowing out of the stove into my house. What to do?? It would be awhile before they burned down enough to close the door and by then my house would be full of smoke.
So why wait. I opened up the door and all the burning papers fell out onto the floor in front of the stove. Smoke and I mean alot of smoke was going everywhere. We opened up the french doors and I swept the mess outside. 3 smoke detectors were going off. I was inhaling smoke and sweeping like crazy. Swept the mess out onto the backyard grass. With the french doors open smoke was gushing out of my house. I looked around to see if any neighbors were watching. I went back inside and had to take out the batteries of the smoke detectors to get some peace. We cleaned and swept and opened up all the doors and windows to air the house out. I even went and got a big floor fan and put it in front of the door to help circulate the air. Anybody know how to get rid of smoke smell???? I will probably shampoo our carpets when I get home. That is, after I buy a paper shredder........
Darvil
4 comments:
I'm sure it wasn't funny to you, but I sure got a good laugh out of it!! At least now you know your smoke detectors work. Good thing you didn't get the fire dept. called on you. I have no idea how to get smoke smell out of the house.
Hysterical!!! Too bad no one video-ed it, that would be a funniest home video winner for sure. Or at least good for a laugh at the next family reunion. Sprinkle baking soda - isn't that supposed to absorb odors? I'm not letting you touch my fireplace when you come here on Friday!
I want to come to Vegas on Friday. Bev your one skillet meal sounds delicious. Darvel, you are funny, I loved your post.
Darvil I had a good laugh about that one (sorry). It probably wasn't funny at the time.
Post a Comment