Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ward Split

Has anyone been in a ward when it was split? This is my first time. We experienced a stake division a year or so ago, and that was interesting. Our ward was given an addition of a new neighborhood at that time that made our ward huge. Not to mention the fact that our ward boundaries have an apartment building and two townhome neighborhoods also, we have just been bursting at the seams. So last Sunday they split our ward and another ward and created a new ward. Some of our long-time ward members were severed from us. It's like they chop off one of your arms! I lost three of the four people I visit-teach, and I'm the only counselor left in the RS presidency. (we had three counselors, we were so big, now the other two and the secretary are gone!)
And now that our stake has a new ward, there is a shortage of building space, so our ward now goes to Boulder City for our meetings. Wow! Changes, changes. It's all good though - it means the church is growing. Life moves on, and people adjust. It'll be nice to actually get to know everyone in our ward boundaries -- to be able to walk down the hall and actually know everyone's name or at least recognize them! To be able to get a seat in Sunday School will be a rare treat, and be able to get a soft seat in sacrament meeting without getting there 20-30 minutes before! (You all know that's not my style!)
That's probably the biggest event we've had lately. Nothing really otherwise. I think the winter blues has mad everyone get lazy and tired. Come on, Spring!

2 comments:

grandma said...

This is very interesting news. I know your ward was huge, so maybe this will be a good change. How long will you have to drive to Boulder? It used to take 5 minutes for you to get to your building, but things must progress & change. I think Central, Thatcher, and possibly Pima will be in for some changes once the new chapel by the Temple starts being used.

Becky said...

Watch out. They're probably going to be on the search for a President soon (Primary, R.S., Young Women) I think you're just the one they're looking for!