Friday, February 25, 2011

STUFFED

Smoke flavor or smell can be a good thing. But when your entire house smells like smoke it is almost nauseating. We had wood stove issues again. Somebody jyxned it. Thanks alot!!!! We built a fire in it this last tuesday. All seemed to be fine until smoke came rolling out of the wood stove. Yes the door was shut tight. If smoke wants out it gets out. Our house was gradually filling with smoke. We opened up all the doors and windows. Luckily a small breeze was blowing that helped push out the smoke. But what to do. The wood in the stove wasn't on fire but it was smoldering and smoking. It would go on for hours at this rate. So I got the wheelbarrow and shovel. Who says a wheel barrow dosen't look good in a house. When I opened the stove door up the entire room immediately filled with smoke. We could barely see each other. I quickly shoveled the contents of the stove into the wheelbarrow which by now had caught fire cause of the new oxygen it got. I pushed the burning wheelbarrow out into the backyard and dumped it out and the grass started on fire. I bet it looked funny me beating the grass with a shovel trying to put out the fire. The next morning I shampooed the carpet and moped the floor. Still smoke smell. Later I emptied all of the ashes out of the wood stove. I even cleaned the stove with a fragrant cleaner. Still smokey. Later I found the problem. The stove was plugged up. I got on the roof and lowered a rope with a chain on it and rattled the heck out of the inside of the stove pipe. I again cleaned out all of the ashes and got 5 gallons. 5 gallons of soot and ashes were inside the top of the stove and the pipe. Now the stove works great. Who says you need a fire to enjoy that great smoke smell!!!!!! It just comes with the house at our place.

Darvil

3 comments:

Becky said...

Ok I won't complain about my smokey fireplace anymore. That's funny you couldn't even see eachother! Hey will you come shampoo my carpets and mope my floor? How do you mope a floor, anyway? Good stuff!

Anonymous said...

You have quite the adventures over there. Thanks for writing about them.

grandma said...

I can picture all of this in my head. You describe your adventures so well. Funny, funny