Monday, April 11, 2011

I Hear Ya

 

 


I know its been a while since my last spotlight. Just to change the subject a little, I have been thinking a little about one of my aunts lately. She had a lot of diziness throughout her life, off and on, and she really liked to crochet, so......she told me once that she would crochet with her eyes closed so she wouldn't get dizzy. Well, since I can't blog with my eyes closed, I have just been thinking about the spotlight. After being chastized, I went into my craft room and pulled a name out of the bowl. No, I don't peek or pick and choose. The name I drew out was the name of my firstborn child and only son. I always thought I would probably have a girl first, but Jerry insisted it would be a boy. I felt very scared and inadequate to be a mother, especially of a little boy, but when I looked at him, I thought he was the cutest baby I had ever seen. He had huge black eyes that soon turned to brown, and fat, fat cheeks. When I would push him in a shopping cart in a store, people would stop me and want to look at him because he was so fat and cute. He was a very energetic little boy -- tons and tons of energy. Since there was no kindergarten in Pima then, he didn't school as young as kids do now. Some days I would be tied to the ironing board - I didn't have a dryer and had to iron everything. I would keep Darvil busy by timing him when he worked puzzles - he loved those - and time him when he rode around the block on his bike. He was always happy when he improved his score. Darvil didn't get a sister until he was almost 4, and although he liked to tease and pester Beverly and Becky, he always set a good example for them, and I was always grateful for that. He followed any rules we set down - especially letting me know where he was as a teenager - even tho cell phones hadn't been invented yet. He was Seminary Pres. his Jr. and Sr. years, and homecoming king to name a few. He was nice and respectful to girls and other people. He hung out with his dog Red a lot, because he didn't like some of the things the boys his age were doing. He served a mission, got a good education, married a cute mormon girl, later built his own house, and had a nice family with 4 beautiful children. He has always loved to play board games and other games, and loves to go hunting with his Dad and his kids. What more could a mother ask for in a son? On the downside, he does let some stinky poops once in a while.

5 comments:

Annette said...

Great post Aunt Linda. It was fun growing up with Darvil as a cousin. We always had good times. But the last comment gave me a good laugh.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing too! You crack me up, we love you Darv!

Becky said...

Darvil, Darvil, Darvil. I was a victim to those stinky toots growing up. Silent but deadly. And stinky feet. But inspite of it all he was a pretty good big brother growing up and turned out to be an ok guy. (it would just be weird if we gushed about eachother.)

Bev said...

what to say about Darvil. A tease, a game player, a good example, a tooter, a fun upbeat person who was a great brother and still is.

Nellie said...

I don't remember Darvil being a tooter. I forgot that he was homecoming king but that makes sense. We love you Darvil!