This is our kids bathroom upstairs. It's in need of a makeover. Hence my bathroom redo, phase 1.
The tile countertops are on my last nerve. But they aren't part of phase one, maybe 2 or 3....
But anyway, the main reason for this redo was the shower doors. We had them installed about 12 years ago. They haven't been clean for about the last 11 1/2 years. The track especially. Gunk trap. And can you see the moldy caulk in the background? I should've taken a closeup so you could appreciate its grossness. But I spared you. You're welcome.
Here's the after shot of "Phase 1". I painted the walls a nice beige, a mix of several cans of paint I had around here.
I also painted the vanity a bright white, and removed the doors. Just to be different and because I like change.
And not to mention that I wanted to display these cute metal baskets I got at good ol Home Goods. Yes, you can see pipes and cleaning products if you look, but if you're in my bathroom bending over looking for cleaning products and pipes, you have better things to do.
They even make tp look cute!
The smaller one with the "3" just fits on the back of the toilet. The larger ones in the cabinet both had "2"s on them, I just turned one around and made a "1" so I'd have 1,2,3. I'm just weird like that.
No more shower doors! I removed them myself, it wasn't really hard at all, and hung up this pretty curtain. Now I can throw it in the washer whenever I want, and I like that it adds pattern. And the fabric muffles the sound and makes the bathroom less echo-y. Is that a word, echo-y?
I got smart and hung up a rack for all the bottles and doo-dads. From what I read, caulking becomes moldy from moisture getting trapped behind shampoo bottles sitting on the edge of the tub. No more for us. And Dad, you'll notice the new shower head, yes, I finally got a new one. We need to change out our brass colored fixtures, though, everything's gone to chrome. Did you know you can't even walk in to Lowe's and buy a brass shower head now days? So we're mismatched for now. Phase 2 will take care of that.
The moldy caulk is gone! I watched several You-Tube videos on replacing caulking, then got rid of the old and put in new. I'd like to say it was painless, but I'd be lying. I know what to do now, though, so if yours needs replacing, give me a call.
I hung up a clock to encourage everyone to get ready quickly, and to take quick showers. We don't have an exhaust fan in this bathroom (not yet, that is), so looooong showers cause moisture to sit on the ceiling and create mold. Can you say GROSSSS? But it's all been primed and painted and the exhaust fan is getting installed soon by my electrician friend James. woo hoo! I couldn't find a towel rack like I wanted, so I decided to make one.
I started with this one with little chubby chefs on it. Then I covered it in scrapbook paper and distressed the edges.
Then I spray painted these letters to change their blueness to blackness. Easy peasy.
Then I just put them on and mod podged the whole thing.
This pocket system will hopefully keep all these bottles and various items neat and hanging up here...
.....instead of ending up here. This wooden tray is also from Home Goods and keeps the soap and a fresh-looking plant. Any room looks better with a touch of green.
So far everyone's been keeping it like this, let's hope it lasts. I also installed a new light fixture and took the rusty (see comment above about long showers and no exhaust fan) ac vent cover down and spray painted it a fresh white. Those photos didn't download onto this post for some reason. Phase 1 complete. Phase 2 will take place whenever I get up the energy to get new counters, faucets, and lose the giant mirror. It'll be more work and expense, but it'll be worth it. For now, I love the new look!

4 comments:
I love it too! I'm so impressed with all the work you have done and yet I'm not surprised after all you are a Boren.
Way to go!!!
HEY BEV.
YOU HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY, AND YOU HAVE A GREAT IMAGINATION. BETWEEN YOU AND BECKY I BELIEVE I HAVE THE TWO MOST TALENTED DAUGHTERS. KEEP US POSTED ON THE OTHER PHASES.
PS. DID YOU LAUGH AT ME AS EVERYONE ELSE DID. HURT.
DAD
I have so much to say, where to start? You totally transformed that bathroom without doing major remodeling. I love the white cabinets and the baskets! I love the new fresh shower curtain! I love the cute towel hanger, so creative. It all looks so neat and clean and fresh. Those kids had better keep it clean like that! Good job. We all love a good makeover.
I am so impressed, having seen the "before" bathroom in person last month. Love it all, and I think the countertop looks cute with the white cupboards and new paint. So happy you got rid of the doors. We had a door in our shower for years -- impossible to keep clean! Curtains are better.
Post a Comment