Monday, March 2, 2009
What will they say???
Rob and I went to one of his patient's funerals the other day in a Methodist church. She was 85. I never met this woman, but by the time I left I felt as if I knew her. They read letters that people had written about her, people whose lives she had touched in some way. They also showed a video presentation of pictures of her throughout her life. Then they passed the microphone around and let people who wanted to stand and tell memories. This woman was involved in a lot of community organizations and worked for good causes. She also owned a dress shop in town and had a great sense of humor so a lot of people went to her dress shop to just visit and be around her because she made them laugh. She was always having card parties at her house and lots of people commented on how fun those were. She went on lots of trips with people and they had funny stories to tell about those. Not one person said what kind of housekeeper she was, or what size pants she wore, or whether her photos were all digitized and organized. They talked about how she made them FEEL. So it got me thinking... what will they say at my funeral? Maybe the trick is to live the kind of life you want them to remember when you're gone. Just a thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
So that means I don't need to worry so much about my dirty house or my unorganized photos? But I guess I need to find a really great personality to replace them with, huh?
I kept thinking about that during Fawn's funeral. She used to go visiting a lot, that was her gift. She was very active in the Democratic party, the PTA, the Church and the community. She had a big circle, before her first stroke 6 years ago. I don't think I ever had the energy to do all that.
I saw and talked to Roger, her brother, He is in a wheelchair and still isn't able to talk. Sad.
Great message to all of us!
Post a Comment