Sunday, August 23, 2009

End of an Era

Yesterday morning we went to the funeral of Linda Norton. A lot of memories came back to me while I was sitting there. Not only of Linda, but about the years I spent working at Ruth Barnes, Jusice of the Peace's office. Linda wasn't there when I first started. It was Judge Barnes, me, & her secretary Vita. The office was down in the basement under the Sherriff's office & jail. Then, after I had been there awhile, Ruth fired Vita for some reason, I never quite understood why, something about Long Distance calls. So then I had to work longer hours, and this was right at Christmas time. It was scary down in the basement when I was alone. No telling who would walk down those stairs and come in. Then Ruth hired Linda. She was very efficient and learned the ropes fast. Then our office was moved upstairs, so we walked up a flight of stairs to get to the office. The Assesors office was up there, so I became acquainted with some new ladies, especially Donna. Barbara Brazil and Carolyn Donham came to visit often. Then another part-time person was hired: Lenore Barney. I got to know all of these women, and that office is where I spent many hours. Linda & I had many conversations. She did well for herself, being a widow for so long, and then had a couple of bad marriages. I got to know her 3 kids a little.
When Ruth retired, Linda was appointed to her position, and she held that for about 9 years.
But that is a chapter of my life that is closed now. I talked to all of the women yesterday, except Carolyn. Linda was 2 years younger than me, and now her and Ruth are gone now. Linda went through the temple and had her first husband's work done also. At the funeral, her only brother gave the Life Story and told lots of stories about Linda and her friends. I am glad she did her temple work. I didn't think she ever would because of the life style she had when I knew her.
We never know when our time will be up.

No comments: