Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm Back

After several weeks of various internet problems (I was about to go through withdrawals!), our internet is back up and running so now I can post again. You probably thought I had joined Darvil's dark side, but I didn't. Yesterday was also the first day of school, so I can't help but feel a small sense of freedom right now. What's that sound I hear upstairs and in the distant rooms of my house? SILENCE!?! I haven't heard that in a while. The kids all had a good first day yesterday, Colby's first day of high school and seminary, Miranda's first day of middle school. Brady is a big man on campus, being a senior, and Kason said he enjoyed not being the youngest grade anymore at middle school. Eli is the only one at elementary this year, he likes 2nd grade and his teachers, and was pleased to find 2 of his best friends are also in his class. This should be a great school year.



But my to-do list is so long I don't know how I'll get to it all. Super Saturday is looming in the distance... any great ideas, anyone? I've got a few but need a few more.



The chickens are laying eggs like crazy. 5 or 6 per day. We're going to start selling them (we hope) and get back some of the money we spend on food. We let them roam during the day, (they're free-range chickens!--I love that term), so if you walk out the back door expect 6 large chickens to come running up to you hoping you have a treat. (we often take out our old bread or shriveling fruit and veggies and they gobble it up). They will follow you until you either give them some food or you run back into the house. If you have brightly painted toenails, expect them to peck at your feet, (they drew blood on Miranda's toes!), but not usually. Kason has given them all boy names, even though I have assured him that only women chickens can lay eggs, but he thinks the boy names are funnier. The meanest one is Evil Rick, then there's Horace and Frank and I don't remember who all.



As for me I'm just trying to keep this place running, it's a full-time job. Life's pretty good over all, we can be grateful we still have a house to live in, a good job, good neighbors and friends, great family, the gospel, and (for now at least) a wonderful, free country that even with Obama as president is still a lot better off than anywhere else.



Here's a couple of quotes to end on:



"Look on the bright side. Things will work out, they always do."

-Gordon B. Hinckley



"The future is as bright as your faith."

-Thomas S. Monson

1 comment:

Becky said...

Wow, chickens pecking at your toes! That's exciting. Super Saturday, that's stressful. Kids going back to school, that's pure bliss!