The first week of school is over. I am happy to see it go. I had forgotten how hectic the first week is. Each child brings home a supply list from each teacher. Keep in mind I have 4 kids in the upper grades who have 6 classes each, so you can imagine the magnitude. Not every list comes home on the first day, they sort of trickled in all week long. Some teachers ask for a separate binder for that class to keep in the classroom. Some ask for colored pencils, some markers. Some want notebooks, some want loose-leaf paper. Some want folders, some subject dividers. Of course the Spanish teacher wants a Spanish dictionary. They all want pencils, but some want pens in specific colors. Some want those large pink erasers. So off we go to find the various supplies. WalMart was out of pink erasers and markers. K-Mart was out of subject dividers and #2 pencils. Every store's school supply section looked like many small bombs had gone off. The aisles are full of parents that look like they just want to grab and get out quick. The employees all have glazed looks in their eyes from having had to deal with rushed parents and a school supply section that has been getting less and less functional since it started back in May.
The kids also bring a rules sheet and parent contact info. sheet from each class that the student and parent each have to read, sign and return. And then there's the packet with the health form and the field trip permission slip and the media permission form and the privacy protection form.....Are you starting to get the picture?
But, we survived the first week, and everyone's home for the weekend now. As I listen to the fighting and screaming going on as I type this, I am wondering if I always think "the grass looks greener" or am I really missing that hectic first week of school already? Monday will be here soon....Monday will be here soon....
3 comments:
Hey Bev !!
I feel for you. The way you describe the situation it sounds like its hair pulling time already.
However, we are old and decreped and just simply cannot relate to what you are saying. All that water has passed under our bridge. So I guess all that I can say is hang in there baby, maybe things will get better,aaaaaaannnnnnnddddd
maybe not.
Just a point of intrest, us and Davis and Malena drove to Payson today just for the heck of it. Did some antiqueing, had a nice lunch, then slowly moseyed back to globe for ice cream. Onto home without a care in the world.
Sometimes being old has its rewards.
Love you
Dad
That's really not nice to rub your carefree old timer frolicking into our haggard, stressed out faces, Dad.
I slept in this morning but after reading this post I need to go take a nap.
Post a Comment