Monday, January 24, 2011

Cleaning

There are different types of cleaning. There's the "accidental-spillage-so-now-we're-forced-to-clean" cleaning. Like when someone drops a glass and it breaks all over the floor. While you're sweeping up the broken glass you might as well sweep the whole darn floor. Or like this morning when I discovered someone had left the chocolate syrup container upside down in the fridge and it all leaked out. While I was wiping that up and had everything pulled out I might as well clean out the whole darn fridge. Forced cleaning is beneficial, but you feel, well, forced. And you're usually cursing under your breath the whole time so it's a negative experience.

Then there's the "someone's-coming-over-so-we'd-better-make-this-place-look-fit-for-human-habitation" cleaning. I've done that plenty. You usually have a short time to do way too much so you end up hiding things in the oven (yes, I've done that), closets, cabinets, anywhere you can find QUICK. While the result is a clean house on the surface, what lies behind closed doors is SCARY. It can take weeks to recover and have the courage to undo the stashes of piles and hidden messes. I discovered one such hidden paper pile recently and was amazed at the things I had forgotten were there.

Then there's the "I'm-in-the-mood-to-really-get-this-place-deep-down-clean" cleaning. This is by far the best option. It's self-motivated by the person who's actually going to do the cleaning. It's usually accompanied by a happy, goal-oriented spirit of energy and inspiration. A lot can usually get accomplished in a short time due to the energetic nature with which you go about your task. You see results quickly which motivates you to keep going, sometimes lasting for days but ending in a sparkling, shiny house. If you turn on some fun music, burn some good-smelling candles, and open the shades, you can actually dance around and maybe even enjoy the experience. That's what they say, anyway. I'm still waiting for the mood to strike me.

4 comments:

grandma said...

Yes, I can relate to all of those things. Usually forced cleaning is caused by Lulu, who doesn't clean up her own messes. Dad, on the other hand, usually cleans up his own messes. And I am still waiting to get in the mood to clean everything.

Anonymous said...

You summed it up well, by bathroom was a forced cleaned, sense we put in a new shower and it was a mess, but it took me 3-4 days to get in the mood to clean it?

Nellie said...

So well put........I need to get in the cleaning mood.........but I just want to play.

Becky said...

You made that sound like an excerpt(sp?)of a chapter from a book on cleaning. You could totally write a book! I can relate to every one of those senarios. Mostly it's the forced cleaning for me. Darn it and cursing the whole time. Very insightful post. I enjoyed it. You need your own column in a newspaper.