TIME... TIMING is everything. Maybe it's luck. I have been raising 2 turkeys for a year now. They are both Toms (boys). They are so fun and funny. When they were small I'd let them out of the pen and they would follow me around the yard. This continued as they got older. They started to gobble. You can walk outside the house and yell "hey Turkeys" and they'd gobble, or really get them going by coughing or gobbeling yourself and they'd go crazy gobbling back at you. Jason and I went out to take some pictures of them and we had to shoo them away because they were to close for a picture. The smaller one has started wanting to fight the bigger one. Over what?? There aren't any girl turkeys around. I was also getting tired of feeding them. So I talked to my bishop about using his barbeque pit and roasting up a couple of turkeys along with some of the elk we got. I talked to him on Sunday Feb. 8 and planned to use the pit on Friday the 13th. Well on Monday Feb. 9th some dogs got into the chicken pen and killed my 4 chickens and my 2 turkeys. I was really upset. I had planned on butchering the turkeys in a few days, but to have them go this way was different. The chickens were all laying eggs. So is it Bad Luck...Friday the 13th. Is it Bad TIMING....... I guess I'll start over and get some more chickens and a couple of turkeys. And I'll fix the door. Dog Proof it.
It's fun but also heart breaking....
Darvil
3 comments:
That is TERRIBLE!! That's really bad luck, Brother. Oh Country Life!
I can relate to your sadness. We still feel bad about our six chickens getting killed by something. How do you know it was dogs and not coyotes? I thought your pen was covered in chain link? Our murderer tore through the chicken wire. The kids still think it was a chupacabra. Don't know what that is? Look it up on the web. It's the new Big Foot legend of Mexico and the southern U.S.
Darvil was so proud of his fowl. I feel so bad for him. I remember when "Red" was a pup and killed the neighbors chickens. It happens, even with good dogs, sometimes. Order an iron door, Darvil.
Post a Comment