Clam Chowder
4 (6.5 oz.) cans clams
6 oz. diced pancetta ( I got this at Fresh and Easy)
3 Tbsp. butter
1 yellow onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
2 Tbsp. flour
4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 bay leaves
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper
Drain clams, reserve liquid and add water to it to make 5 cups. Set aside. In soup pot over medium heat, saute pancetta 5 minutes. Add butter and let melt. Add onion, celery, garlic and thyme; cook about 5 minutes. (your kitchen will start to smell really yummy now!) Add flour, cook 1 minute more. Add clam juice/water mixture, potatoes and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and cayenne. Heat through, about 3-5 minutes. Add clams; cook 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread - delish!
7 comments:
I'm sure Dad would love this. I'll have to send him shopping for the ingredients. Is the meat kind of like bacon? We don't have a "fresh and easy" here, so I don't know about all that stuff.
can't wait to try it. Clam chowder isn't my favorite soup. Maybe because the store bought isn't the greatest. The chewy clams kind of gross me out, I bet I could set some aside sans clams.
I think you should do a cooking demonstration at our reunion just like Giatta and say things like CRReamy and CRRispy.
And CRRunchy.
Bethany has been bugging me to make clam chowder. I'll have to try it!
What is Pancetta?
LeNell, I'm glad you don't know what pancetta is either.
I think she meant to say Preciutto or however you say it. That really thinly sliced italian ham.
Post a Comment