There are some definite signs of Spring at our house. The flowers are in BLOOM...
The mulberry tree is LOADED with mulberries (the birds love it)...
There are mulberry SPLATS on the sidewalk, and the patio, which then gets on everyone's feet, which then gets all over the house...
And the baby chicks are growing up to be chickens (and we hope will give us delicious eggs someday, if we can keep the coyotes away from these ones!). Did you know that chickens like to eat mulberries? And did you know that when chickens eat mulberries their poop is purple? It's everywhere! We have them in the back yard where they can run around and be "free range" chickens during the day, and we pen them up at night. They stay in the yard better than any dog I've ever seen. But the other morning I came home and there was one of the chickens standing on the front porch. I have no idea how it got there. Did you know it's almost impossible to catch a chicken by yourself? So I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I finally opened the side gate that leads to the back yard, got a long stick in each hand, and proceded to try to "herd" the chicken through the gate. I walked along behind it and if it went to the right I waved the stick in my right hand. If it went to the left I waved the stick in my left hand. I wondered if anyone was watching me because I'm sure it looked very entertaining. It took about 10 minutes because chickens are very stubborn and it kept wanting to go back the way it came or hide in a bush or something. But finally I got it to go through the gate, to my great relief.
I really love SPRING, it is probably my favorite season. I just wish it would last a little longer before the heat hits. But I am enjoying it while it is h e r e....

4 comments:
I always loved to eat mulberries when I was little. We had a big tree in front of the LIZARDBUMP house, and there were also chickens and turkies running around, eating their share. Then, when I grew up, someone told me those beautiful mulberries were full of little worms. Oh well. I guress what you don't know doesn't hurt you. Love your pictures.
Great pictures...I love spring also but I'm dreading the summer! Hey are we all still up for the cousing retreat? I'm game if everyone else is?
I would have paid some indisclosed amount to watch you herd chickens. You're a good blogger! Great pictures! I'm enjoying the nice days before the outside oven gets turned on.
JoAn, if you read this..Let's do it! I'm still planning on it, let's just get a date so everyone can get it on their calendars.
Post a Comment