Thursday, April 2, 2009
Water is good and bad
Water. You can't live without it but it sure can cause problems. I went to exercise class yesterday. I was gone for an hour, mind you. I came home to find a broken faucet outside, right against the house, shooting like a geyser. Half of the front yard was flooded. But worse than that, it had soaked through the wall and gotten into the house. One fourth of the dining room was covered in water. The flooring in that room is that wooden laminate, and the directions when we installed it said to never let water get underneath it. Well, I called Rob, got the water turned off, and he came home and we proceded to pull baseboards off the wall and start pulling up floor planks. The water had gotten underneath half the floor of the room! We had furniture moved in all directions, floor planks scattered all over outside to dry, every beach towel we own soaking wet. I put fans in there that have been running since yesterday to dry out the concrete so that we can begin the giant jigsaw puzzle project of putting the floor back together. (I tried marking the backs of the pieces as we pulled them up, but that didn't exactly work.) We'll see how that goes. We had talked about going somewhere as a family this weekend since it's the beginning of Spring Break, but now I'm glad we didn't make a plan so we can work on putting the room back together. While the water was off yesterday and I couldn't shower my just-exercised sweaty body, and my sink was full of dirty dishes, I thought about water and how we should have more stored than we do. I have a few jugs here and there, but I've been wanting some nice storage containers or barrels. A friend called and wanted to know if I want to buy some water storage containers her dad brought down from Utah, so I bought some. I think it's a sign that we need to be prepared with food AND water.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Grandma fully appreciated water. I know how fast a water leak can ruin stuff. Remember the trip to Pima Market and Darvil's room? I am sorry for your mess and problem. I'll be thinking of you.
Oh, that's awful! Your water leak is much worse than ours was a few months ago. I hope you can get it all put back together. Did you finally get to shower?
Post a Comment