Saturday, November 19, 2011

How do they do that??




We have this hummingbird feeder on our back porch. It amazes me how they can fly like they do. There might be 10 -15 of them trying to get a drink. I sometimes go out on the porch and sit in a chair just feet away from the feeder and watch them. They don't seem to pay me much attention. Later in the summer a sort of brown or orange hummingbird shows up and he takes over the feeder. He fights off other birds as they try to come and get a drink. He sits in a tree and watches the feeder, when another bird approaches the feeder he zooms in and sometimes even hits the other bird. The other birds have learned the "Power in numbers" theory. They all come in at the same time and the brown one finally gives up and they all get a drink. Fun times!!!!

Darvil

1 comment:

Bev said...

Wow, amazing photos. You could be a National Geographic journalist. You must have a good camera. I see humminbirds quite often around here, I love to watch them, they're fascinating.