Friday, November 18, 2011

What do you remember?

Who remembers a Thanksgiving from long ago? Do you have a favorite one? Or just random memories? Let's get some Thanksgiving posts going. I remember a Thanksgiving when we were young at Von and Alice's house. It was just a few days before Grandma Hancock's birthday (Nov. 30th) so some of us grandkids thought she should have gifts. So we went outside and found some pieces of tree bark and then found cute rocks, pieces of broken glass, whatever we could find that looked pretty and arranged them artfully on the tree bark and gave it to Grandma. She seemed so thrilled and happy to get our "masterpieces". I remember many Thanksgiving meals with Grandma, mostly at our house I think. Mom always made the most delicious meals and always made yummy mashed potatoes with Grandma's gravy recipe that is like no other. Waking up to the smell of turkey cooking (since Dad always put it in the oven at 4 or 5 a.m.) was so exciting! We knew the food was going to be GOOD. I always looked forward to the Danish Dessert (and still do). Our table was always decorated and we'd use the "special" dishes. And of course the varieties of pies was another meal in itself. Thanks, Mom for making our Thanksgivings so homey and delicious and wonderful. We had the best Thanksgivings ever. Now let's hear your memories, people!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember being at your house after either Christmas or Thanksgiving and your kitchen was full of pies, the best pies ever, I was in heaven!

I also remember a thanksgiving at Von and Alices, the tables were all set up in there big room, it was so fun being with all the cousins!

Becky said...

I don't remember the gift for Grandma. Yes mom made the best food, I'm trying to live up to it. Mom worked so hard to make every holiday special and dad worked hard so we could have everything we need. Ahhh, the pies.