Friday, December 19, 2008

Quirks de Shaleice

So I'm babysitting, the kids are in bed, and the mom said to feel free to use the computer... So I kept hearing this noise like metal being banged together. Checked on the kids...they're snoozin. It's nothin.. gulp.. ...So jus now, I'm typin when out of the corner of my eye I see something crawling toward my feet. I look down and it's a rat! Well..it looks like one--their gerbil! It scurries away behind the desk and I was going to let it roam free...poor little creatures that have to be cooped up in cages... when the thought occured: Will he (assuming it's a boy. I have no understanding on how to check and frankly no interest in attempting--sick little creature...OH my quirk is comin...just wait. ....So the thought: Will HE chew the cords?? Oh great, a $75 computer cord..and I can't even afford to go out of my budget to buy a can of ravioli for 99cents!! Anyway...we're not discussing the poor chica blanca over here... ;)... SO I figured I'd better grab the rat and put him back in his cage. Well so ....quirck numero uno: I HATE touching animals. I jus get this disgusting feeling like I need to wash my hands right afterwards. So I looked around for a blanket I could capture the critter with... a box? ...nope. Ah-hah! a lunch pail. I flop open the lid and set it on the ground...it acts as a drawbrige now...a trap jus waiting to lure him in. Plop goes the lid, "oo" goes the little pipsqueak, in he walks, and MUAHAHA, he is captured!! I let him back in his cage and all is well now...but I still have to wash my hands.

2. So I have a germ problem that extends to all things--if the toilet seat is not clean, I will squat instead of sit on it...or if not too bad, I will wipe it off. And then....of course I will wash my hands.

3. I, like Amanda, have this editing problem. Unless I made the mistake on purpose, I will go back and fix it. If I'm typing at rapid speeds and spell something a little wrong, I can't just leave it. I've had experiences arguing with myself (not outloud mind you), to just leave it alone. But alas, I cannot do it. I must be perfect! ;) (ps. I've been contacted by a company to take on an editing job. I'm looking into it, but hey, so now this little quirk will hopefully be appreciated by someone else besides me...and Bre who's papers I edit or...rewrite. ;) hehe. jk. English--It takes me hours to write a paper because I think of all the many different ways you can say something, picking out the best, and THEN finalizing on it. I don't do rough drafts. ;)

4. Idk if this is a QUIRK, but my family may think so. Bev will appreciate this. When someone says something in English, my brain goes crazy thinking how do you say that in Spanish? I used to be really bad and would actually find myself being totally oblivious to the fact that the person is talking to me, due to the fact that my brain is merely translating what they say, not to WHOM they're saying it. :P

5. When my mind is cluttered, so is my room and my daily to-do things. I have to make lists: to-do lists in order of when they need to be accomplished. When things are written down, I can then follow the list. If they aren't they rattle around in my head saying, "write me down so I don't haunt you all day." So I obey.

6. Wow dad...I think I have your sleeping....or NON-sleeping quirk. Not to THAT extreme...thank goodness. Although I'm sure it comes with age...uh...not that you're REALLY old....jus yet ;), hehe. jk. It has to be totally dark or I cannot sleep. And there HAS to be a little bit of noise, but more like a hum. Sometimes I turn on the fan, even in the middle of winter, jus so the noise will be there. haha. If it's dead silent, I hear little snaps, crackles, and pops in the house and I immediately start imagining all the possibilities of what they could be. THEN I DON'T sleep.

7. I had to get up and go turn the light out. Grandma, I'm jus like you--not in the old and crochety part ;)-- but being REALLY poor, I've discovered, can make you really irritated with ppl (roommates) who really could care less. PEOPLE PEOPLE, WE PAY FOR THIS BATHROOM LIGHT THAT NO ONE IS USING, TO BE ON ALL DAY! I sometimes find myself vigorously and forcefully flipping off lights on purpose so my roommates will "get the hint" that I have to pay for that blasted light too! oo I'm jus getting all worked up over here jus thinking about it. I wonder when I go home...how many lights will be on?? I'll forever be thankful for dad who during Family Home Evening a long long time ago, had us turn off all the lights in the house and go outside to look at the electricity box. "See how the numbers are moving really slow?" Then after running, inside and turning on EVERY light we could find, he said, "Now see how they're moving really fast? The faster these numbers move, the more money I pay. So unless YOU want to fork out money, or have your light "magically" be turned off for good, I suggest we start turning off the lights when we leave the room." I think every family should have this talk. When I went home this weekend, I found myself doing it again-- walking around the house flipping off light. ...I think the "light" talk should be heavily reinforced. ;)

No comments: